THE YEAR 2010

We will remain confident in the Lord's direction for our lives....

Monday, August 31, 2009

Challenge #2 - What I'm reading...

Tomorrow is September 1st which begins my challenge to myself to read the Bible every day.  I have been praying about what to read and really haven't come to any wonderful conclusions.  I have had suggestions of doing something topical like read verses pertaining to the Holy Spirit or grace or love.  Other ideas include just pick a book of the Bible and start reading and doing a read the Bible in a year program.

I didn't feel a direction or nudging either way, so I am going for the yearly reading program.  I don't want to go buy a special Bible for this (I think we have too many at our house already that don't get read) so I am going to use Biblica.  It is an online resource that has the reading program lined out for you.  All you have to do is set the start date as September 1, 2009 and it will adjust the reading program for you.  I think you can also sign up to have an email sent to your computer ever day with what you are to read.  This makes it very accessible and leaves me no excuse to know what to read.

I will admit that there isn't much appealing to me about reading straight through the Bible.  Yes, I just said that.  I like devotional studies and Bible studies with people who help me understand and give me fresh insight.  So why am I doing this?  Well its simple really.  God calls us to hide His Word in our hearts.  We are to dig and find nuggets of wisdom from His Word.  He also calls us to be equipped like warriors ready fight the Good Fight of Faith.  This got me thinking about the soldiers who train and get ready for battle.  Most do not like the do drills over and over or sweat or feel pain just for practice.  But it is mandatory to do, otherwise when they go to battle they will fail for lack of preparation.  All the work behind the scenes pays off when it really matters.  

So, if this interests you at all join me in reading through the Bible this month.  I know the Lord will bless you for taking the time to read His Word.  He says His Word does not return void.  

Let me know if you are going to try to get in the Word a little every day.  I would love to pray for you and help encourage you.

No comments: