We will remain confident in the Lord's direction for our lives....

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Mission Accomplished

We went camping this weekend!!

I know it is hard to believe, so I will give you a few moments to digest that little bit of information.

Times up!!!  

Saturday we traveled about 45 minutes to La Jolla Indian Campground.  It was so neat to drive such a short distance, but feel like we were in a different part of the country.  We went with a couple who live on our street - Eryn and Josh.  We arrived around 11:30 am and got everything set up.  Our campsite was right on the river.  Everything looked so cute set up in the trees with the river flowing behind it.  The boys loved playing in the water, and it was refreshing to listen to it go by.  After a bite of lunch, we rented a couple of tubes and Dylan had a blast tubing 
down the river.  Jaydon enjoyed throwing rocks and sticks in the "wa-wa".  For the rest of the afternoon we sat around and talked and Dylan rode his bike and played with Eryn.  Thankfully Jaydon got in a nap.  As evening approached we lit up Josh's  gas grill and our camp stove and had steak and mac-n-cheese for dinner.  It was very tasty, except these little bugs were attracted to our light and they kept falling in our food.  So, we just ate very quickly and I'm sure got a little extra protein.  As it began to get dark, we realized the showers just up from us had no lights, so we decided we could rough it for one night and passed on showers.  We were all filthy, especially the boys.  Dirty faces and dirty feet.  (They got a quick baby wipe bath.)

Finally, the part of the trip everyone was looking forward too.  The campfire.  We broke out the glow sticks.  Glow sticks are a favorite of Dylan's.  They work out great though because we can totally see where he is in the dark when he is playing with them.  We roasted a few marshmallows and had some s'mores, of course.  Dylan and Jaydon began fading, so we put out the fire and got everyone tucked in for a good nights sleep.

WRONG!!  Dylan and Jaydon were out all night, which was great.  They were snug in our cold weather sleeping bags.  We thought the sound of the flowing river would be good white noise, but it turned out to be a bit too loud.  I had to get up twice to pee.  (Its the pits being a woman sometimes.)  The worst part though was that I could not get warm.  I had on long sleeves and flannel pants with a sheet and a blanket, but I was freezing.  My feet were freezing and I could not get warm.  Finally I decided I would put Garth's lounge pants on too.  That didn't help much.  Then I thought I would try to steal Garth's body heat by snuggling, but that didn't help much either and for some reason he wasn't too excited about my freezing feet on his warm body. :)  

Finally morning arrived (about 7:00 am).  Garth cooked us up some bacon and I fixed some eggs.  That was the end of the trip.  We got everything broke down and packed up and made the short drive home.

After unloading everything, starting laundry (had to wash the blankie, for sure), and washing so
me dishes - everyone headed for the showers!!!  AAAHHHHH!!!  Nice hot showers.  Clean bodies, hair, and teeth.  This is the life!!!

Camping was a blast, even with the filth and sleeplessness.  We hope to go again soon, maybe even for two nights!!  Enjoy the pictures.

No comments: